Yes, we know it has been a while since Halloween; however do you want to hear something scary? Well, here it goes. Did you know that the phone you’re possibly reading this on is covered in more germs than a toilet seat? Pretty startling!
In fact, according to the consumer magazine Which? who took swabs of 30 mobile phones and tablets many devices are ‘hazardous’ to health such is the germs and bacteria on them. One iPad it tested was covered in bacteria known as Staphylococcus aureus, which can cause serious food poisoning.
There are a number of reasons why our phones and devices are covered from on button to charge port in potentially life threatening bacteria.
Bacteria Breeding Ground
The best breeding ground for bacteria is warmth and iPhones and other devices are fortunate enough to create enough through charging and out handling to provide the perfect conditions for incubation.
In addition, and one of the most major causes of the problem, smart phones are brought everywhere with people and that includes the bathroom. If you don’t think that’s the case, there are Ofcom studies that prove one in five 18-24 year olds do just that, as do 11% of us as a whole. And even so, most of us wash our hands intermittently; though use our phones all the time, meaning the germs gathered during daily routines between these washes builds up on the phone screens. Truth being told we’re a pretty disgusting bunch.
There are a number of innovative tech solutions that are heralded to prevent the growth of a small colony on our devices. One that takes itself seriously is the PhoneSoap charger. This device not only charges but also sanitises your phone and manages to do so without the use of heat, liquid or chemicals. But how?
It uses two UV-C lamps that kill the bacteria. According to PhoneSoap, the device sends a “wavelength of light which encompass your phone and pass through the cell walls of bacteria and virus to impair their DNA. Once the DNA is compromised, the cells die and can no longer cause infections or disease”.
Another innovation and an impressive one at that come from Corning and Gorilla, creators of the antimicrobial glass. This glass uses an ionic silver agent to kill off bacteria throughout the day and lasts for the lifetime of the device.
These are two excellent ideas; however as with anything in life we have to be realistic. The likelihood of contracting a life threatening disease from a phone is limited however the average mobile phone is laden with bacteria and may even be covered in serious bugs such as streptococcus, staphylococcus and diphtheroids, but chances are it’s unlikely to harm us. However, a rub down with an antibacterial wipe every so often won’t do anyone any harm.
Despite mobile phones harvesting bacteria it’s not going to them being used everyday. So, remember to give your mobile a good clean and also some comprehensive phone insurance to ensure to phone is safe. Get a quote from us today!
*The information in this blog is designed to provide helpful information on the subjects discussed. Please seek a professional for expert advice as we can not be held responsible for any damages or negative consequences upon following this information.